I have recently reread the story, "You Are Special" by Max Lucado to our little girls. For those of you have not read the story should, but I will give you a synopsis:
There are several wooden puppet type people who all live in a village down the hill from their maker's hill. Each wooden person was completely different in appearance and personality. Despite their differences, they had one thing in common... they loved to hand out stickers to one another... gold stars for being beautiful and doing wonderful things OR gray dots for those who were awkward and untalented. There was one little wooden person named Punchinello who tried his hardest to be the best but never quite succeeded. His poor wooden body was filled with gray dots. In fact, he had so many dots that he began to feel worthless. However, one day he met someone who did not have any dots... this fascinated Punchinello greatly. He found out that stickers would not stick to her and sought to find out how this was possible. She told Punchinello that the reason she had no marks was because she often visited their maker, the woodcarver, and urged him to visit as well. When he arrived to the woodcarver's house he was welcomed in and called by name. Punchinello was suprised that the woodcarver knew his name, and even more of a suprise, the woodcarver did not care about the bad marks that had been given to him. He told Punchinello, "All that matters is what I think. And I think you are pretty special." This was the biggest shock of all to Punchinello and questioned his maker's kind comment: "Why do I matter to you?" The woodcarver replied, "Because you're mine. You are special because I made you. And I don't make mistakes." And you know what, Punchinello began to believe the woodcarver and a sticker fell to the ground.
It is too often that we allow those around us to build us up or to bring us down in despair. Too often we are caught up in the world trying to impress those around us, trying to be a part of something that gives meaning to our lives, trying to stay trendy and cool, or keeping up with the Jones. Rather than getting overwhelmed with the impossibity of keeping up with the ways of the world we should rather turn towards the Heavens a whole lot more. Our Heavenly Father is the one that treasures us, as individuals, the very most. He created each one of us, as true individuals, knowing every strand of hair upon our heads. He loves us and shows us daily the ways that we are special to him. All we need to do is be aware of His love and know that we each have a purpose here on the Earth. We EACH have a role in this great plan of happiness and must remember we are divine beings created by a perfect loving Heavenly Father who does NOT make MISTAKES.
Tuesday, April 15, 2008
I do not make mistakes...
Posted by Ellis Family at Tuesday, April 15, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Thanks for the reminder Rachel...i LOVE that book and can't wait to read it with my lil girl someday:) I can tell your girls are so blessed to have you.
Thanks. I usually stick the stickers on myself. It's a needed reminder.
Post a Comment