Tape up your finances
BA mom makes a profit by crafting duct-tape wallets
Rachel Ellis dreamt of duct-tape wallets. "I woke up and thought everyone should have one." JAMES GIBBARD/Tulsa World
By MATT GLEASON World Scene Writer
Published: 1/13/2009 2:21 AM
Last Modified: 1/13/2009 4:06 AM
Rachel Ellis is a 26-year-old mother of "two beautiful daughters." She's also a first-grade teacher and a dance instructor. Oh, and she makes duct-tape wallets in Broken Arrow.
You can find duct-tape wallets online anywhere, but here's a reason to buy local: Ellis' slogan goes, "Duct tape holds the universe together, so let it hold your personal finances together."
It all started as a Christmas gag-gift from her mother in-law. Then Ellis learned how to craft wallets herself.
"In fact, I ended up dreaming about making them all night long," she recalled. "I woke up and thought everyone should have one.
"Now, I am on a teacher's salary and trying to finish putting my husband through engineering school, so I thought I should sell them."
She's just getting started, but Ellis offers her personalized duct-tape wallets in a variety of colors — including camouflage. She'll even use your favorite sports-team colors if requested.
"I can get approximately five men's wallets using two rolls of duct tape," Ellis said. "The women's wallets take quite a bit more since they are larger with a holder for a checkbook."
So here's the real test, Rachel: Would MacGyver carry a duct tape wallet?
"Of course MacGyver would carry a duct tape wallet," she said. "It would make a great hang-glider."
Rachel Ellis’ wallets for men are $5; women’s are $7. For more than two colors, add $1 per color. Add $1.50 for shipping. To place an order, e-mail: ellisrachelr@gmail.com
You can find duct-tape wallets online anywhere, but here's a reason to buy local: Ellis' slogan goes, "Duct tape holds the universe together, so let it hold your personal finances together."
It all started as a Christmas gag-gift from her mother in-law. Then Ellis learned how to craft wallets herself.
"In fact, I ended up dreaming about making them all night long," she recalled. "I woke up and thought everyone should have one.
"Now, I am on a teacher's salary and trying to finish putting my husband through engineering school, so I thought I should sell them."
She's just getting started, but Ellis offers her personalized duct-tape wallets in a variety of colors — including camouflage. She'll even use your favorite sports-team colors if requested.
"I can get approximately five men's wallets using two rolls of duct tape," Ellis said. "The women's wallets take quite a bit more since they are larger with a holder for a checkbook."
So here's the real test, Rachel: Would MacGyver carry a duct tape wallet?
"Of course MacGyver would carry a duct tape wallet," she said. "It would make a great hang-glider."
To buy
Rachel Ellis’ wallets for men are $5; women’s are $7. For more than two colors, add $1 per color. Add $1.50 for shipping.
3 comments:
That is so cool! Congratulations!!
You are FAMOUS! And innovative and very clever!
OMG!! Look at you go! You are quite the little business woman.
Sound like a fun idea and maybe you will be rich and famous for them and I can say I knew you when. :)
Post a Comment