Saturday, August 9, 2008

Itchy, Itchy... How Bizarre!

Well, for those of you who have been wondering about the bite on my leg from my last post, this post is for you! First, of all, I never go to the doctor because face it, I don't get sick that often due to my teacher immune system or maybe the fact that I tough it out for as long as I can even if I am miserable. Well, I went to the doctor last Thurs. (7/31) and guess what... staph infection! The doctor put me on these giant antibiotics that made the pain go away and the infection to grow smaller. However, I was still going a little crazy because I was itching here in there constantly thinking that another spider or some little bug was crawling on me. I thought I was just being paranoid. But, on Friday (8/8) I was sitting there in my teacher meeting (Yes, I have already reported back to school) and I just started itching like CRAZY! After the meeting I made a comment to one of my team members and suggested that I might be allergic to my meds. I went home for lunch to find that I had HIVES all over my back and stomach! I wasn't being paranoid about spiders and bug bites... I was ALLERGIC to my meds! I called the doctor made and made and appointment, ate my lunch, went back to school to work but didn't get much done. I left early to go to the doctor but by this time, my arms, legs neck, face, back, stomach, and even my throat started to hurt a little. I told the receptionist what was going on and they brought me right back. (NO WAIT! I waited 30min at least last time and I had the girls w/me so I was relieved!) The nurse checked me in, the doctor came in quickly and decided I needed a shot... but not any shot... they put the meds right in my vein... just like a druggy... I'm telling you that I will never ever be a druggy because that horrible tingle through my body did not feel good... in fact it scared the living daylights out of me! The doctor stayed with me a few minutes to calm me down and then just told me to lay there and take a little nap. I layed there a while and daydreamed and stared at the lights above me.... afraid to get up in case there were some side effects to this medicine. After 30 minutes of relaxation he came in, gave me a prescription of one thing and some samples of another. One to help the itching and the other to make the red whelps all over my body go away. Seriously, I look like a red and white Leopard! I have taken some of the meds and they knocked me out early this evening... poor girls had to go to bed early, but they suprisingly only got out of bed once and I think it was more to come check on my mommy than anything. Well, since I was completely out of it by like 7:30 last night I am wide awake now and starting to itch a little. Having school on my mind doesn't help and the fact that I have a garage sale in the morning and I need to put my signs on boxes. I've made the signs, but they aren't completely ready to go out yet. Anyway, thanks for indulging in my itchy and bizarre experience! Hopefully, along w/my strep, wierd tongue scolding from a virus, and this staph/ allergic reaction I am done for the year! I will keep you posted if any other bizarred illnesses find their way to our little family....because in a way.... it just so bizarre!

5 comments:

Shana said...

I hope that you are feeling better? I know you had a rough weekend. I'm glad that we were able to have our garage sale and get some $$ for some our "trash."
Rob told me about Audrey getting her hand slammed in the car door Saturday evening. GOSH...when it rains it pores huh? He said she didn't break it or anything, but it was probably going to be pretty bruised.
I know today is your first day back to daycare and teaching school. Good Luck Mrs. Ellis- I guess that is what your students will call you? :)

Krystal said...

Wow! Sounds pretty miserable! I hope you are itch-free by now! Enjoy your first week of school:)

Krystal said...

PS I have now completed my "tag"...thank you very much:)

Jennifer said...

Holy crow, girl! Charlotte once reacted that way to an antibiotic, and I freaked right out! No shots, though. I hope it clears right up for you.

Krystal said...

update! update! update!:)